Tamiya’s 4-speed low-speed mini motor gearbox features a more compact 030-form-factor brushed DC motor driving a single gear train that can be assembled to have one of four gear ratios: 71.4:1, 149.9:1, 314.9:1, or 661.2:1. The gear train includes a self-locking worm gear.
The mini-motor gearbox kit from Tamiya makes it easy to get a small robot or plastic model moving. The kit includes one brushed DC motor and all the gears and parts to build any of the four possible gear ratio configurations: 71.4:1, 149.9:1, 314.9:1, or 661.2:1. The four gear ratio options give you the flexibility to choose the best speed and torque for your project.
The gear train of the low-speed gearbox includes a self-locking worm gear, which means the gear train can not be back-driven (the motor can spin the output axle in both directions, but you cannot turn the output axle with your hand). Not being able to back-drive the gear train is useful when powering vehicles that stop on steep inclines, or when powering mechanisms that lift heavy objects off the ground (like gates or drawbridges).
|Parts included with the Tamiya 70189 mini motor low-speed gearbox (4-speed) kit with quarter for size reference.|
The kit includes step-by-step illustrated instructions in both Japanese and English. A scanned copy of the instructions is available on the Pictures tab. The kit can be built with just a screwdriver, but the instructions recommend having side cutters, tweezers, and a modeling knife on hand. The gearbox kit’s motor has a 030 form factor that is smaller than the Tamiya gearboxes that use the Mabuchi FA-130 motor.
|Box front for Tamiya mini motor low-speed gearbox (4-speed) kit.||
|Instructions for Tamiya mini motor low-speed gearbox (4-speed) kit page 3.|
|Box back for Tamiya mini motor low-speed gearbox (4-speed) kit shows the possible gear ratios in orange.|
- 030-form-factor motor
- Speed @ 3 V: 8400 RPM
- Free-run current @ 3 V: 60 mA
- Stall current @ 3 V: 600 mA
- Stall torque @ 3 V: see picture to the right for torque table
- 4 different gear ratios, which can be adjusted by changing the final gear position
- Self-locking worm gear prevents gear-train from being back-driven
- 3 mm hexagonal output shaft compatible with our adapter for LEGO wheels and many of Tamiya’s wheels.
- Two mounting orientations
- Mounting holes designed to work with the Tamiya 70098 universal plate set and other Tamiya construction series products.
- Transparent gear housing shows the internal mechanisms
- Compact size of approximately 20 x 24 x 30 mm (0.8" x 1" x 1.2")
Note: The Tamiya 70189 mini motor low-speed gearbox (4-speed) is a kit; assembly is required.
People often buy this product together with: