Pololu TReX Jr Dual Motor Controller DMC02
This lower-power, smaller, and lower-cost version of the TReX is the ultimate general-purpose motor controller for small motors: it has a wide operating range (5 to 24 V), delivers 2.5 A continuously per motor, provides current sensing on the two main channels, and it features the TReX triple interface that allows you to control motors from a serial line (RS-232 or TTL), radio control (RC) receiver, or analog voltage source such as a potentiometer.
|Description||Specs (15)||Pictures (7)||Resources (11)||FAQs (1)||On the blog (0)|
Newer Motor Controllers Available! We generally recommend our newer, easier-to-use Simple Motor Controllers over the TReX. The Simple Motor Controllers can accept RC, analog, or TTL serial inputs. Additionally they have a USB interface for quick configuration (no need for an external USB-to-serial converter like with the TReX). Our newest G2 Simple Motor Controllers can also be controlled through I²C and have configurable current limiting. Each Simple Motor Controller only has a single motor channel, but they can be connected in mixing mode and used with two analog or RC joystick channels (x and y axes) to control both the motors in a differential drive robot just like the TReX. Note that unlike the TReX, the Simple Motor Controller does not have an RS-232 interface or serial override feature.
Pololu TReX Jr bottom with labels and dimensions
A novel blend of serial, RC, and analog motor control
The TReX Jr Dual Motor Controller, a lower-power version of the TReX Dual Motor Controller, is a versatile DC motor controller designed to seamlessly blend autonomous and human control of small robots. The TReX Jr can control two bidirectional and one unidirectional motor via three independent control interfaces: radio control (RC) servo pulses, analog voltage, and asynchronous serial (RS-232 or TTL). Using the compact MC33887 motor driver allows for a single-board design that reduces cost while maintaining a small package. As an added benefit, the use of the MC33887 motor driver allows operation to 24 V.
The TReX Jr uses five input channels to receive the RC or analog control signals. When operating in RC or analog mode, the five channels function as follows:
- Channel 1: motor 1 speed and direction or, if in mix mode, turn left/right
- Channel 2: motor 2 speed and direction or, if in mix mode, go forward/reverse
- Channel 3: auxiliary (unidirectional) motor speed
- Channel 4: can be used to enable “flipped mode”, which allows invertable robots to be controlled as normal when they are inverted
- Channel 5: determines whether the motors are controlled by the channel inputs or the serial interface; this channel allows you to switch between autonomous and human control at will
The serial interface can switch instantly with one of the other two interfaces, allowing mixed autonomous and remote control. For example, a robot could be configured to run autonomously most of the time, but a human operator could override the autonomous function if the robot gets stuck or into a dangerous situation. If the serial mode is selected as the primary interface, high-resolution measurements of all five channel input signals (be they RC pulses or analog voltages) are made available to the autonomous robot controller, allowing for complex and unlimited mixing of operator control and sensor input. For example, the TReX would be a great motor controller for a remotely controlled balancing robot.
Pololu TReX Jr Dual Motor Controller with labels
|Dimensions||1.75" x 1.75" x 0.5" (0.3" height without connectors)|
|Supply voltage||5 – 24 V|
|Primary motor outputs||2 bidirectional, 5 A peak, up to 2.5 A continuous (may be combined to control 1 bidirectional, 5 A continuous)|
|Auxiliary output||1 unidirectional, 10 A continuous|
|Speed control||128 steps in each direction|
|Control interfaces||RC servo pulses, analog voltages, or serial commands; master interface set by mode-select jumper|
|Input channels||5 (RC servo pulses or analog voltages)|
|RC pulse measurements||12-bit resolution, 1 us accuracy|
|Analog measurements||10-bit resolution|
|Serial interface||both RS-232 and TTL (logic level), bidirectional|
|Baud rates||supports 11 common baud rates ranging from 1200 to 115,200 bps|
|Expanded protocol||Allows multiple Pololu servo and motor controllers on one serial line|
|Compact protocol||Allows both motors 1 and 2 to be simultaneously set with just three bytes|
RC/Analog control features
- Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) jumper lets the TReX Jr optionally power your RC receiver or analog controller
- mix-mode jumper allows for single-stick motor control of differential-drive robots
- automatic calibration for your particular RC or analog controller (the TReX Jr can learn the channel ranges)
Options accessable through the serial interface
- all five high-resolution channel input values are available
- remapped channel input values show what the TReX Jr would do if it were in control
- optional 7-bit cyclic redundancy checking to ensure command/data validity
- calibration values can be explicitly read and set
- each channel can be reversed and parabolically scaled
- current limit, acceleration, and maximum motor speed settings
- the bidirectional motors can (individually) be set to coast or variable brake when in the deadband
- upgradable firmware
- “safe-start” requirements prevent accidental motor activation at power-up
- optional automatic motor shutdown on serial error, timeout, or input channel noise
Note: The TReX Jr does require use of the serial interface to function; it will work right out of the box as an electronic speed control (ESC). You will not have access to the full suite of features the TReX Jr provides if you do not make use of the serial interface, though.
24" (600 mm) female-female RC servo extension cable.
Servo cable accessories
The TReX Jr has male 0.1" headers; for direct connection to an RC receiver or serial servo controller, we recommend ordering one 6" female-to-female cable, 12" female-to-female cable, or 24" female-to-female cable per channel you intend to use (the TReX Jr can use up to five channels).
People often buy this product together with:
|Servo Extension Cable 6" Female - Female|