This device is a programmer for AVR-based controllers, such as our Orangutan robot controllers and the 3pi robot. The programmer emulates an STK500 on a virtual serial port, making it compatible with standard AVR programming software. Two additional features help with building and debugging projects: a TTL-level serial port for general-purpose communication and a SLO-scope for monitoring signals and voltage levels. A USB cable and ISP cable are included.
Compare all products in Computer Interface.
Documentation and other information
Pololu USB Software Development Kit
The Pololu USB SDK contains example code for making your own applications that use native USB to control the Jrk Motor Controller, Maestro Servo Controller, Simple Motor Controller, or USB AVR Programmer.
Pololu AVR Development Bundle for Windows
This bundle contains all the Pololu software you need to get started programming AVRs in Windows: the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library, the Pololu USB AVR Programmer drivers and software, and the Pololu Orangutan SVP drivers. We recommend installing Atmel Studio 6.1 before installing this bundle.
USB AVR Programmer Windows Drivers and Software release 121114
This executable installs the Pololu USB AVR Programmer drivers, configuration utility, and SLO-scope application for Windows. , so you do not need to download and install this if you have installed the bundle.
Firmware version 1.01 for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer (pgm03a)
You can use this file to upgrade your programmer’s firmware if needed. This update contains two bug fixes relating to the TTL serial port. This update is recommended if you use the TTL serial port and have a device with an earlier firmware version number (including all devices shipped before December 17, 2009). If you do not use the TTL serial port (you only program AVRs and run the SLO-scope), then you do not need this upgrade. See the instructions in the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the user’s guide for more information.
Firmware version 1.07 for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer (pgm03a)
You can use this file to upgrade your programmer’s firmware if needed. This update adds support for AVR Studio 5.1. This firmware version was released on February 29, 2012. See the instructions in the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the user’s guide for more information.
SLO-scope client C# source code
Visual C# 2008 project containing the SLO-scope client software. The SLO-scope is a severely limited oscilloscope feature of the Pololu USB AVR programmer.
- Atmel Studio 6
- Atmel’s free integrated development environment (IDE) for AVRs.
- AVR Studio 4
- The older version of Atmel’s free integrated development environment (IDE) for AVRs, which is no longer supported by Atmel.
- A free, open-source suite of development tools for the AVR family of microcontrollers, including the GNU GCC compiler for C/C++.
- Atmel Web Page
- Web page of Atmel Corporation, manufacturer of AVR microcontrollers and other advanced semiconductors.
- AVR Libc Home Page
- The web site for AVR Libc, which is the standard library of functions that you can use with C and C++ on the AVR.
- GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection
- Documentation for GCC, including the AVR GCC C/C++ compilers.
- Pololu Robotics Forum
- Pololu Robotics and Electronics forum — get technical support, share your project, or just drop in to say hi.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 is required for many Pololu configuration, control, and utility programs under Windows. Most computers will have this installed already or can automatically install it over the internet, but you can also get .NET 3.5 directly from Microsoft at this link. If you are installing on a computer without internet access, make sure to get the Full Redistributable Package.
- AVR Freaks
- AVR community with forums, projects, and AVR news.