1.1. Configurations and included components
The Zumo 32U4 OLED robot is available in several configurations:
- Zumo 32U4 OLED Robot Kit (No Motors) – requires assembly and soldering; can be customized with your choice of motors (not included)
- Zumo 32U4 OLED Robot (assembled with 50:1 HP motors)
- Zumo 32U4 OLED Robot (assembled with 75:1 HP motors)
- Zumo 32U4 OLED Robot (assembled with 100:1 HP motors)
In addition, the Zumo 32U4 OLED Main Board is available separately; it is primarily intended as a replacement part, but it can also be used to make your own Zumo 32U4 OLED robot if you do not want all of the parts included with our full kit.
Zumo 32U4 robot kit contents
Contents of the Zumo 32U4 OLED robot kit.
The kit version of the Zumo 32U4 OLED robot includes the following items:
- Zumo Chassis Kit, which includes:
- Zumo chassis main body
- two drive sprockets
- two idler sprockets
- two 22-tooth silicone tracks
- two shoulder bolts with washers and M3 nuts
- four 1/4″ #2-56 screws and nuts
- battery terminals
- Zumo 32U4 OLED Main Board, which includes:
- two 1×2 machine pin sockets for IR LEDs
- 1×7 low-profile male header for OLED display (original version kits include an 2×7 low-profile male header for the LCD instead)
- jumper wires (for soldering motors to the main board)
- two magnetic encoder discs (12 CPR)
- 2×12 female header for front sensor array
- five 3/16″ #2-56 screws and nuts (original version kits only include four sets)
- 1/4″ #2-56 standoff (OLED version only)
- Zumo 32U4 Front Sensor Array, which includes:
- 2×12 extended male header for sensor array
- two 1×3 right-angle male headers and two shorting blocks – jumpers for sensor array
- two wide-angle and two narrow-angle through-hole infrared LEDs (these plug into the main board and serve as forward emitters for the proximity sensor detectors located on the front sensor array)
- Zumo 32U4 Blade, which includes
- forward IR emitter LED holder
- two 3/16″ #2-28 thread-forming screws for LED holder
- graphical OLED display (original version kits include an 8×2 character LCD instead)
The diagrams above show the contents of the Zumo 32U4 OLED Kits. For the contents of the original Zumo 32U4 Kit, which includes an LCD and differ in a few other parts, refer to these diagrams instead.
The robot and chassis kit might include extra parts like jumper wires, screws, nuts, washers, and an acrylic spacer plate (which is not used in the Zumo 32U4), so do not be concerned if you have some leftover hardware after assembling your Zumo. Your kit might also include a length of heat shrink tubing that can be used as shrouds for IR LEDs. Kits shipped before August 2015 include heat shrink tubing but do not include the LED holder and its mounting screws.
Assembled Zumo 32U4 robot
The assembled versions of the Zumo 32U4 robot are complete, ready-to-program robot platforms built from the same components found in the Zumo 32U4 Robot Kit; no soldering or assembly is required. A choice of three motor gear ratios offer different combinations of torque and speed.
Different versions of the assembled Zumo 32U4 robots can be identified with a sticker on the underside of the main board, visible inside the battery compartment of the Zumo without batteries installed. The color of the sticker indicates the gear ratio of the robot’s motors:
- Green: 50:1 HP
- Blue: 75:1 HP
- Red: 100:1 HP
The assembled Zumo 32U4 robot is fitted with wide-angle IR emitter LEDs (clear); the narrow-angle LEDs (blue) are not included.