Motion Control Modules » Brushed DC Motor Controllers » MCP Advanced Motor Controllers »
MCP233 Dual 30A, 34VDC Advanced Motor Controller
The MCP motor controllers from Basicmicro (formerly Ion Motion Control) can control a pair of brushed DC motors using USB serial, TTL serial, RS-232 serial, CAN bus, RC, or analog inputs. Integrated dual quadrature decoders make it easy to create a closed-loop speed control system, and advanced features including internal scripting support and user-configurable I/O make it suitable for standalone applications. This version can supply a continuous 30 A per channel at voltages from 10 V to 34 V.
Alternatives available with variations in these parameter(s): continuous output current per channel maximum operating voltage Select variant…
|Description||Specs (8)||Pictures (6)||Resources (3)||FAQs (0)||On the blog (2)|
The MCP series from Basicmicro (formerly Ion Motion Control) are a family of rugged, high-performance motor controllers with scripting support and other advanced features. They can supply brushed DC motors with 30 A, 60 A, or 120 A continuous at voltages from 10 V up to 60 V (depending on the model).
(34 V max)
(60 V max)
(34 V max)
(60 V max)
(34 V max)
(60 V max)
|Operating voltage:||10 V to 34 V (MCP2x3 versions)
10 V to 60 V (MCP2x6 versions)
|Continuous output current
|30 A||60 A||120 A|
|Peak output current
|30 A||60 A||160 A|
|Size(1):||88 × 72 × 26 mm||115 × 107 × 34 mm||212 × 126 × 50 mm|
|Weight:||140 g||340 g||1630 g|
1 Including connectors and mounting flanges.
Each MCP motor controller has a USB interface that acts as a virtual serial (COM) port, allowing it to be controlled directly from a computer, and it features built-in commands for controlling acceleration, deceleration, distance, speed, voltage and current limits, and more. Several other interface modes are supported by the MCP as well: it can be controlled via TTL serial, RS-232 serial, or CAN bus (using the CANopen protocol) for use with an embedded or industrial system; RC hobby servo pulses for use as an RC-controlled electronic speed control (ESC); or analog voltages for use with potentiometers or analog joysticks.
The MCP features an internal user scripting system and user-configurable I/O pins that allows it to be used as a standalone controller, eliminating the need for an additional processor in many situations. It can be operated without feedback for open-loop speed control, or it can be used with a variety of feedback types for closed-loop speed or position control. A wide range of closed-loop sensors are supported, including quadrature encoders, analog encoders, and potentiometers.
The MCP incorporates several protection features including temperature, current, over-voltage, and under-voltage limits. Several user-definable settings such as a maximum current limit and battery voltage limits are provided for more refined control. The controller uses regenerative braking but can be configured with a voltage clamp circuits to limit the regenerative voltage when used with switching power supplies. The Basicmicro VClamp is a voltage clamp specifically designed to work with the RoboClaw and MCP to suppress such voltage spikes and is rated for use with supplies up to 60 V and currents up to 60 A.
Details for item #3585
The MCP233 operates from 10 V to 34 V and can deliver a typical continuous output current of 30 A per channel. It has a USB Mini-B connector and a female DA-15 connector (sometimes called DB-15) for control, feedback, and user I/O.
Up to 6 user inputs are available, all of which can be configured as analog, PWM, or digital inputs. 2 user outputs are available; these are open-drain (they can drive low to sink up to 3 A or be set to high impedance) and are 40 V tolerant.
You might consider getting this DB15 screw terminal breakout adapter to make I/O pins more accessible.
- Simple bidirectional control of two brushed DC motors
- 10–34 V or 10–60 V operating supply range, depending on controller model
- 30 A to 160 A maximum continuous current output, depending on controller model
- Channel bridging allows control of a single motor with double the current capability
- Automatic current limiting reduces duty cycle when temperature exceeds 85° C
- Six communication or control options:
- USB serial interface (virtual COM port)
- 3.3 V logic-level (TTL) serial interface for direct connection to microcontrollers or other embedded controllers
- RS-232 serial interface
- CAN bus interface supporting CANopen protocol as master or slave device
- Hobby radio control (RC) pulse width interface for direct connection to an RC receiver or RC servo controller
- Analog voltage (0 V to 5 V) interface for direct connection to potentiometers and analog joysticks
- Automatic control switching with user-defined priority settings
- I²C interface accessible by user script
- Up to 20 user-defined input pins for control, feedback, or scripting, depending on controller model
- All inputs are 15 V tolerant for interfacing to industrial devices such as PLCs
- Up to 8 user-defined open-drain output pins (40 V max) for driving auxiliary loads, depending on controller model
- Multiple feedback options for PID closed-loop control:
- Speed or position control with quadrature encoders, up to 21 million encoder pulses per second
- Position control with analog encoders or potentiometers
- (Open-loop control with no feedback also available)
- Programmable with built-in user scripting language
- Screw terminals for quick connect/disconnect
- Configurable via USB connection and PC software
- Regenerative braking
- Tolerates high-speed direction changes
- 5 V BEC can power external logic
- Battery monitoring and under-voltage cutoff protects batteries from over-discharging
- Fully enclosed for protection
- Conduction plate for cooling on bottom of enclosure
Note: Basicmicro was formerly Ion Motion Control. Basicmicro uses the following product names and numbers for the MCP controllers:
- “MCP233 Dual 30A, 34VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC502
- “MCP236 Dual 30A, 60VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC500
- “MCP263 Dual 60A, 34VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC503
- “MCP266 Dual 60A, 60VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC501
- “MCP2163 Dual 160A, 34VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC517
- “MCP2166 Dual 160A, 60VDC Advanced Motor Controller” – Item # IMC515
People often buy this product together with:
|DB15 Screw Terminal Adapter for MCP23X/26X Advanced Motor Controllers|