This position has been filled; the posting is available for reference.
Pololu is an electronics manufacturer and online retailer serving education, maker, and professional engineering industries with products ranging from sensors and motion control electronics to motors and wheels to complete robots. We are a small, growing company, and we are always looking for intelligent and dedicated people to join our team.
You can find out more about us and see other open positions on our jobs page.
We are looking for a full-time, versatile Human Resources Assistant to help our Operations Manager. The position will focus on human resources tasks such as payroll and bill payment, though it will also include other administrative work. This job does not necessarily require prior HR knowledge (though that would be a plus), but it does require critical thinking skills and attention to detail. An ideal candidate would be one who is quick (physically and mentally), able to jump from task to task and not forget about what needs to get done, not afraid to ask questions, pleasant, driven to perform tasks correctly, and self-motivated to make things better.
Although this position is for an entry-level HR assistant, we are open to hiring someone with more experience that could take on more responsibility from the start.
This position is for on-site work at our Las Vegas location. Hours are daytime Monday through Friday, with some flexibility in start times. Employees are welcome to wear T-shirts and jeans.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Biweekly payroll processing
- Accounts payable
- Maintaining records for HR and Accounting
- Documenting tasks, creating/perfecting processes and checklists
- Assisting with other HR tasks such as coordinating new hire orientations, benefit enrollments, and worker safety education
- Maintaining confidentiality of personnel information and records
- Organizing everything!
- Being extremely helpful
- General office and reception duties
- Proficient math skills: particularly good basic arithmetic, estimating, and percentages. Must be able to calculate 20% of 56 in your head.
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet programs
- Computer competency (type at least 40 WPM, understand what an operating system is and where your files are, can install a printer)
- Internet use including navigating web sites to pay bills and do research
- Strong verbal communication skills: asks questions, gives feedback, and shares relevant information
- Good written communication skills (composing HR documents, emails, and instructions) and spelling (crucial for non-spell-checkable fields in records)
- Good memory for tasks and instructions
- Excellent habits and strategies to avoid forgetting things and stay organized
- Multitasking and context-switching
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and consistently
- Exercises discretion
- Takes initiative
- Enthusiastic to learn new things and take on tasks
- Wants to understand things
- Loves helping others succeed
- Loves checking things off a to-do list
- Can maintain concentration and accuracy while doing the same task (such as bookkeeping) for several hours at a time
- Likes making processes better
Other desirable skills, traits, experience:
- Experience working in human resources
- Knowledge of HIPAA
- Experience with QuickBooks
- Experience with accounting tasks
- Advanced education
- Awareness of HR, accounting, and other administrative processes for companies of various sizes (especially those with around 50, 100, and 250 people)
- Familiarity with manufacturing, electronics, or online retail industries
- Awareness of the world
Compensation depends on your skills and is likely to go up as the company grows. The position advertised is for an entry-level HR assistant, but we are open to hiring someone that could take on more responsibility.
- Pay will depend on your skills and experience and could range from $12-18 per hour or $25-40k for full-time annual salary.
- Benefits available.