7.9. Upgrading firmware
The Jrk G2 has field-upgradeable firmware that can be easily updated when Pololu releases bug fixes or new features.
- Version 1.00, released 2018-04-19: This is the original version.
- Version 1.01, released 2018-07-20: This version adds support for the Jrk G2 21v3. It also fixes a bug where the Jrk would waste power and fail to go to sleep during suspend mode if the frequency feedback measurement method was set to “Timing”.
You can determine your controller’s firmware version by running the Jrk G2 Configuration Utility software, connecting to the controller, and looking in the “Device info” tab. If you do not have the latest firmware, you can upgrade the firmware by following these steps:
- Make sure you have a Jrk G2 (with a black circuit board), not the original Jrk 21v3 or Jrk 12v12 (with a green circuit board). These instructions only apply to the Jrk G2.
- Save the settings stored on your controller using the “Save settings file…” option in the File menu. All of your settings will be reset to their default values during the firmware upgrade.
- Download the latest version of the firmware here: Firmware version 1.01 for the Jrk G2 Motor Controllers (253k fmi).
- Run the Jrk G2 Configuration Utility software and connect to the controller.
- In the Device menu, select “Upgrade firmware…”. You will see a message asking you if you are sure you want to proceed: click OK. The Jrk will now disconnect itself from your computer, go into bootloader mode, and reappear as a new device.
- Once the Jrk is recognized by the computer, the green LED should be blinking in a double heart-beat pattern.
- Go to the window titled “Upgrade Firmware” that the Jrk Control Center opened. Click the “Browse…” button and select the firmware file you downloaded.
- If it is not already selected, select the device you want to upgrade from the “Device” dropdown box.
- Click the “Program” button. You will see a message warning you that your device’s firmware and settings are about to be erased and asking you if you are sure you want to proceed: click OK.
- It will take a few seconds to erase the Jrk’s existing firmware and load the new firmware.
- Once the upgrade is complete, the Upgrade Firmware window will close, the Jrk will disconnect from your computer once again, and it will reappear as it was before. If there is only one Jrk plugged into your computer, the software will connect to it. Check the firmware version number and make sure that it now indicates the latest version of the firmware.
- If you saved your settings, you can restore them now by using the “Open settings file…” option in the “File” menu and clicking “Apply settings”.
If you run into problems during a firmware upgrade, please contact us for assistance.